I'm not the boss of you

You're always the boss! Ever since I was born, ever since I was small, you have been the boss of me and dad and then of my little brothers! Why are you always the boss? Who made you the boss? What makes you think you can tell me what to do?

Fine, my girl, I understand. I was once there, too. Screaming and crying, kicking against. It's okay. I don't need to be the boss. I'm happy to take down the mantle. Now there, I'm not the boss any longer, your dad is.

Me? I'm now the boss? Does it mean I have to move my eyes up from the telephone in my hand? What does it mean? Honey, what do you expect me to do?

I don't know. You're the boss now. The leader and the complaint department. I'll retire now, go to bed with my book, unless you need anything... but I guess you have it all covered.

But mom, you can't just go like that?! I need to tell you that the dinner you prepared tonight did not make me happy. You said it was happiness rice and I didn't get my wish granted. You lied to me! It tasted good, but your promise was horrible. How could you tell me we were having happiness rice for dinner? And that book! It's a horrible book and you are making me read it! Yeah I have to read it for school, but you are reminding every day to read it and I don't like it! You are pushing me too much!

It's okay, you don't have to read it, but then you have to tell your teacher what you just told me. Ask her if you can choose another book. Tell her why you don't like this book. Tell her why you need to choose another book. I can't change your book for you, but I do know you have to read it for school. You can also not read it and face the consequences from your teacher. It's your choice to either read, swap or not read it and see what the teacher says. I won't remind you again to read your pages. It's your responsibility now. I'm not the boss of you.

But then I'll forget to read it! How can you be so cruel? And it's all work and no play for me. You are reminding me to drum ten minutes a day. It's too much, don't you see? And you're telling me to practice my breakdance and it hurts and I don't want to do it. You're always reminding me of my homework, always telling me what I should be doing!!

You can quit your drumming and breakdance, too. It costs a lot of money, so if you really don't care for them, it also makes no sense to pay for them. Skip the lessons now and kick yourself when you're grown for not completing something that simply took ten minutes a day that you will remember for the rest of your life. These are hobbies you chose. You told me you wanted to dance, so I took you to your first dance lesson. When I told you that you could choose a style, you chose breakdance. I enrolled you, took you there every week, listened to your teacher and reminded you of the things he told you that you need to practice at home. You asked me for years to start drumming. I thought you weren't serious, but when I saw you during that open music day at the academy and you whined in the evening, I enrolled you, I bought you a drum set, a book, another book, a chair, paid for your tuition, discussed with your teachers and when we moved, found you a private lesson, because nothing else was available in the middle of the season. But if you don't, after all, care for drumming, don't do it. Leave it, walk away. I'll sell your drum set, free some space.

You can't sell my drum set! You're cruel! I need it for practice!

The complaint department has closed for today. I'm not the boss, go complain to your dad.

Hon, can you be the boss tomorrow again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality