Day 9: Something I feel strongly about

The more I look at people closely, the more I understand the uniting motivation behind all behavior: search for happiness. It's something I've been trying to understand for a while now and the more I pay attention to it, the more obvious it becomes. At first glance, it might seem strange to say something like that, because there is so much suffering in the world, but from an individual level it all of a sudden starts to make more sense. No one believes they are the bad guy, not even those we collectively label as bad. They all think they are doing something right either by others or by themselves and that narrative will give them satisfaction, a glimpse of happiness. The search for contentment is in every action.

No idea who this lady is. I just found this photo from pixabay and thought it looked cool.

I saw someone stating on Facebook last week that they think "positivism is a phenomenon of the time and it too shall pass". At first I was quite perplexed by this way of thinking, because it negates effort altogether. Everyone is doing things to be happier and positivism is the sixth gear that you thought you didn't need, but oh man it does make a difference. Whoever said this, did not say it because it was true, but said it to make a point and to feel better about having voiced their opinion. With the action itself they were also looking for a moment of contentment. I am not condemning this way of thinking at all, because as stated earlier, the more one looks at actions, the more one sees the underlying value of them. Shortly put: I don't agree with the statement, but I understand why it was said.

In the future I'd rather see a new saying take form: "The search for happiness is constant". After some conscious training of learning to look at people from this point of view it becomes quite difficult (although not at all impossible) to be angry at anyone. Instead, you start to feel growing compassion. It does not mean you need to accept everything that happens around you, but if we all learned to understand each other's underlying motivation a bit better, the two minutes to midnight might just turn backwards a minute or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality