Grateful for adaptability

First things first. The May Gratitude Challenge has been a really interesting monthly challenge. I got stuck at one point, but I also got it resolved and have written a blogpost about each and every one of the questions. Some of them have been better than others, but all of them I've thought and wrote about. I'm almost there.

Just. One. More.

The last question of the challenge is "What talent or skill do you have that you are grateful for?"

I used to think talent was something one was born with. I've spent years waiting to discover some hidden talents. I've expected to try something and realize I'm a natural phenomenon in it, and I've let myself down so many times after beginner's luck ran out. On top of that, the things I found myself somewhat "talented" in, I somehow thought don't need practicing, because I already got them in the bag. That's exactly where I went wrong time after time.

Skill, on the other hand, had always a different ring to it. Skill was always something you could acquire if you put enough practice hours into whatever you wished to be more skilled at. Although I have been disappointed for not finding anything I'm naturally talented in, eventually I also came to realize talents and skills aren't much different.

It doesn't matter much if something comes naturally to you or if it's something you put serious hours into. The bottom line is that you gotta do what you love and enjoy and it'll naturally develop into something bigger than expected.

Image: pixabay.com

When I was around 10 years of age, I read in my horoscope that Sagittariuses' best trait is that they just understand and when they don't, they seek to find ways to understand what they don't understand. Back then I thought this must be true, because I'm a Sagittarius and I took it with me. Whatever I did, I sought to understand and it made me grow into an adult that still is looking for answers to all sorts of things.

So I guess, if I were to name a skill or a talent that I'm grateful for, it would be adaptability. It doesn't matter that I was once a gullible kid and adapted myself to be what my horoscope said I should be. Because of this one line, I adapted and created a new positive trait for myself over the years.

In the end, adaptability is exactly what understanding and curiosity is about. It's not enough to understand if you can't deal with it. Living in another culture asks a lot of understanding, but understanding the differences (and similarities) won't be enough to make you feel like a part of something previously unknown, until you decide to adapt yourself onto the circumstances.

Because of this nearly life-long obsession of understanding people and phenomena, I feel I have gotten to know the world around me so much better, and that I'm grateful for.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality