Grateful for the feeling of being home

One of the hardest thing about the gratitude challenge - and coincidentally the most wonderful thing - is to pick favorites. Yesterday it was hard to pick one book over the others to feel gratitude to, so I took a trip down the memory lane of all the different genres I've been interested in over the years.

Today's question is which place I'm most grateful for.

When I moved to the Netherlands, I arrived here with one suitcase. Most of the items I left behind didn't mean enough to bring with me in order to be able to call my then boyfriend, now husband's apartment in Amsterdam home. It became home the moment he asked me to stay during my first ever visit to the Netherlands.

Over the years we have lived, besides in Amsterdam, in and around the city of Delft and whether it has been a rental place or a house we bought, it always felt like home, because of the people I was sharing it with and the emotional ties to the place.

The same occurs when I visit my parents in my childhood home. I still refer to it as home. I don't have my own nook there anymore, but share the guest bedroom with other people that drop by at my parents, so none of the items are mine. Yet it's home because of the people who live there.

So, to answer the question which place I'm most grateful for, the short answer is I'm definitely most grateful for the place that feels like home, no matter where that is.

Home is where I find my people who do things like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I heart enough

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

Icy rain reveals personality