Grateful for music

I got completely stuck with my gratitude challenge, when I was asked to show gratitude to a SONG. I thought about it every day and could not figure out which song(s) I should pick. I love music, but I love so much of it that nothing seemed to be distinguishably better than the next song. Of course I like some better than the others, but there just isn't a song that is my absolute favorite year after year.

So, in the end, I realized I'm going to write the things music has gotten me to do.

If it wasn't for Fool's Garden's "Lemon Tree", I would've never realized how much you can learn a language through singing. I was around 10 years of age when it was a big hit and with my class, we sang it to our parents at the end of the school year. I still know the lyrics by heart... The same counts for the movie the Sound of Music.

If it wasn't for Italian opera, I would have never chosen Italy for my exchange student year.

If it wasn't for Stromae, I would've never downloaded Duolingo to learn French. To be honest, I still don't speak French, but I love listening to French music and attempting to sing along.

If it wasn't for B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down, I would have never realized how amazing heavy metal can be. It was the gate for me to dig deeper and I've come to realize some of the most skilled singers are indeed heavy metal singers.

Image: pixabay.com

If it wasn't for this Finnish song, I would've overlooked the fact that my first language does sound quite nice when sung.

If it wasn't for this Italian song that was a hit 15 years ago, I would have never learned to rap in Italian. My host sister at the time told me I could never learn, because she couldn't and she was Italian. I, obviously, had to prove her wrong. And this is the song a 16-year-old me liked, so let me be excused for the choice, thank you very much.

There are a lot of songs that have gotten me to do something, to prove something, or simply to love something. There are songs that to this day remind me of people and places, even some that I otherwise would've forgotten by now. Music is an effective way of feeling something deeper and faster and all in all, I'm grateful for all music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality