Thankful for all four seasons

Growing up in Finland I used to be very familiar with the four extremely different seasons of the year. Summers were short, but usually hot. Forest and lakes belonged to my childhood as I spent a lot of time at our summer place in the woods, swimming and fishing.

Quattro stagioni - four seasons. Image: pixabay.com

Summers were followed by the relief of getting back to schoolwork. The nature was turning its leaves to colorful masterpieces, all of a sudden the Sun wasn't warm enough on your skin and every autumn the first time your breath fogged up in the morning, it was a realization the summer was officially over.

Winter began in November, but sometimes the first snow arrived as early as October. The air was cold, the snow was unusual deep in the first months of the year and the speed with our sleighs was fast enough to make our eyes water.

And then, then came spring. The snow gradually melted, the grass was dull green at first, but soon enough it was so green you just wanted to roll on it. Daisies, dandelions, lilies of the valley were everywhere.

Now that I live in the Netherlands, I've had to come up with different definitions of seasons.

Summers are sometimes warm, but mostly damp af. Autumns are sometimes warm, but mostly damp af followed by mostly mild winters that are nonetheless damp af. And then comes spring that is all of the above combined with an attack from pollen. But despite the fact that all seasons sometimes feel like a mix of seasons in one, I do still love the small variations in each of them: the warmth, the colors, the anticipation of snow, the flowers. I'm grateful for it all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I heart enough

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

Icy rain reveals personality