Here's why I like the story of The Egg so much

There is an incredible amount of great stories that have spoken to me in my life, but possibly above all is the story written by Andy Weir (the same guy who wrote The Martian) called The Egg. I have been advertising it so much lately that needless to say it's possibly my absolute favorite story. Now I'm going to tell you why.

If you have yet to read the story, it's available here.

SPOILER ALERT!


Image: pixabay.com



The Egg is human eggistence existence, on its course to mature into a God-like deity. Our experiences in all of the specter are here to mold us into that who has experienced what it means to be human. All of our consciousnesses derive from the same source and in that sense we're all ONE. The consciousness that is writing this, is the same consciousness that wrote The Egg and is the same consciousness of you right there reading these stories.

Having always been interested in reincarnation and "the human experience" and being someone who was never really satisfied with the traditional answers, The Egg really spoke to me. The idea itself wasn't new, but something about the way Weir told the story really got to me deeper than any other version before.

To me it simply makes sense more than anything else.

Here's what I think.

Reincarnation has traditionally meant being born again into another body in the future, never really overlapping one's own existence, but what if we got that wrong? We really don't understand the nature of consciousness, where it comes from, what it holds. We only experience things by utilizing consciousness. Time and space are irrelevant for immaterial concepts. In this sense, one might even say it's perfectly possible for consciousness to occupy countless deities at the same time.

We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

Funnily enough, it would raise a question who came before whom? I'd say Leonardo da Vinci was one of the latter reincarnations from our perspective. I'd personally guess any forward-thinking person, like Da Vinci or Elon Musk, is a more matured version of the this consciousness.

Then there's karma. Boom. In the concept of The Egg, karma stops being an account where a divine someone counts your digits. Karma literally is your own doing happening to yourself in real-time. You will always, always, always, get what you deserve. All of it. Good and the bad. Absolutely all.

What I have a slight problem with, is that if a consciousness is able to be born over and over again, meeting itself, teaching itself, and it doesn't follow the rules of linear time, everything must be already set. There is no free will, because someone who came after us lived before us and made this life possible for us. Everything will simply fall into place. When you think you're affecting something, you aren't, because even that is calculated in.

Criticism aside, The Egg by Andy Weir is possibly my favorite story of all time. I have read it countless times, I have watched short stories based on it and it still makes me think about some fundamental truths of our existence. It simply has all the right elements of a life-changing story and I'm forever grateful I once stumbled upon it.

Image: pixabay.com

EGGSTRA:

Here are some mind-bending facts about time:
1) Theoretically if someone 65 million light years away had a huge-ass, magic sharp telescope and managed to look Earth, they'd see dinosaurs roaming the Earth, because it would take the light (image) that long to travel across the space.
2) This also means everything we see when we gaze out into space, whether it's the Sun or the rest of the Universe, is old news. It takes the sunlight 8 minutes and 20 seconds to travel to Earth and some of the stars we still see shining in the night have already ceased to exist. To put distances in perspective, the sunlight the Moon reflects to Earth is about 1,25 seconds old.
3) The faster you move, the slower the time passes. If you traveled 99% of the speed of light to Sirius and back, you'd have aged less than 2,5 years during that time, but more than 17 years would have had passed on Earth.
4) Humans deal with time as a linear concept. The only thing that really exists is the present moment. Future is an idea of our present thinking, past is our present thinking reviewing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality