Day 4: Learning to keep matching sheets and pillowcases together

I avoided this until the evening, because I thought I had it in the bag. I thought that "my linen closet is fine, there's not much to do, unless I decide to iron everything." So here are my confessions about today's subject:
1. I don't have a linen closet. It's a drawer.
2. I don't iron my bed linens. My parents used to have an electrical mangle/wringer (I had to google the word for it, so I'm not sure which one I should use) and I remember watching the sheets getting all pressed in it. It was one of my favorite things as a kid. Yet doing it myself seems very foreign. I also don't iron by hand all our sheet, because I'm not ready to lose the remains of my sanity for such an idle chore.
3. I change our sheets every 1,5 to 2 weeks and when someone is ill, then more frequently. In normal circumstances any longer feels iffy, any less is too much work.

So I thought I had this in the bag before even starting. To be honest it only took me 20 minutes to finish it, too, so it wasn't too bad, but I did take everything out, looked at it closely and rearranged it all once again.

The before shot.

This time I decided to use a time saving hack I saw somewhere on the internet some time ago. I put the matching sheet inside its own pillowcase and created separate bundles of sheets. Now I don't have to go looking through the entire pile for the matching pillowcase as I have it all in one package. Also, it looks neat(er than before).

The after shot.

I also managed to deduct about a quarter of all the bed linens we had stored. I simply held every piece in my hand, a bit like the Japanese KonMari style, and asked myself have I used this when and will I honestly ever use it again? Off went our luxurious bedsheets that we bought to ourselves as a wedding present. They just slide off and make so much noise that I always have avoided using them. It then became clear if I avoid using something, no matter the purpose why it was first purchased, it needs to be tossed. There are so many other things more valuable to us from that time than unused bedsheets.

In the end the drawers closed super easily and there is plenty of space left, too. I counted that I have enough sheets to still keep on hosting travelers, so no harm done there with the donations either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality