Day 8, 9 & 10: Clothes

I'm finally getting the hang of decluttering. I'm slowly starting to understand when I lie to myself with the thought "Oh, I'll possibly use this later", which I'm learning to respond with an honest thought "Are you SERIOUSLY going to use this later?" More often than not, the answer is no and off it goes.

Because day 8, 9 and 10 of the decluttering challenge were all related to clothes, I decided to divide my task by doing only a fraction of it on the weekend.

I have always loved my kids' clothes. They are a collection of new, hand-me-downs from friends, presents from relatives and there are even some of my old ones in there. Often their outfits remind me of our friends and family and it's such a nice addition to the function of clothing.



Day 8 was clothes. This is when I went through my youngest ones, Nate's, wardrobe.


His clothing was easy to eliminate as he's the one that still grows the fastest in our family. Although the amount of clothes might seem more in the end, I've actually managed to move all his pajamas, underwear and socks from the right to the left. Now all his pj's are in hangers. I eliminated one big bag of clothes from his closet alone. I gained some space on the right side, so I could fit some books and dinosaurs on his shelves. More importantly, now almost all of his clothes are within his reach, so he can't say anymore he can't pick something up himself, because he cannot reach it.

Day 9 was more clothes. That's when I went through Viv's and Filip's clothes. I put aside clothes that I had been on the verge of taking away from their wardrobes after having noticed they might be getting too small on them. I also made a pile of clothes I had not seen them wear in a while and asked them to select which of those they wanted to keep and which they were going to release. They were incredibly cooperative and mostly put away the clothes they hadn't worn in a while.

The before shot of Viv's and Filip's wardrobe. Because they share a room, they also share a wardrobe and a dresser.

The after shot.

I completely forgot to photograph the kids' dresser where about half of their clothes are, but safe to say, I eliminated two bags of clothes from their wardrobes and dresser drawers, so it was a big change.



Last week I tumbled across a newly added documentary on Netflix about the concept of minimalism. Since it's my decluttering month, it seemed like a great subject to watch a documentary on. I cannot recommend it high enough! Although I doubt I'll ever be a hardcore minimalist, it really inspired me to think about the material possessions we have and how taking care of it is stressing me out and it pushed me to make a change, which I'm grateful for.

I didn't want to edit our stuff it alone, so I asked my husband to watch the documentary as well, and he did. He's more of a hoarder of the two of us, so I thought it might be a tough cookie for him to bite, but seeing how effortlessly he edited his wardrobe today made me super proud of him. He was being honest about what he really liked, needed and wanted to have in the closet and the rest he set free. Together the pile of clothes on the floor grew and in the end, out of all of our closets, this is the amount we managed to get rid off:



Day 10 is today and my subject for today was underwear drawer. It's 11:45 pm and I didn't finish it before one of the kids fell asleep in our bed, so updates follow later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I removed all of my Instagram followers to feel free to be authentically me

I heart enough

Icy rain reveals personality